Last year I started keeping a note of the clothes I was buying. My spending habits had decreased in recent times and I was craving more space and less stuff. Being mindful about what my money went on with regards to non-necessities seemed like the logical place to start. I had an idea to compare my purchases from this time last year to the ones I've made this year and see if there's any change, and if I wasted my money on stuff that didn't last, or that I changed my mind about.
It seems June is a pretty quiet month for me where shopping is concerned. Except when it comes to handbags... First up is last June's purchases.
- Next handbag - £34 - I am the biggest fusspot around when it comes to handbags. They have to be the right colour and size, have the right amount of pockets and the right handle length. They have to be big enough for my regular junk but also hold my camera when I decide to bring it along. They have to be easy to zip up (the zip is non negotiable - I'm a paranoid Peggy when it comes to trusting others not to steal the aforementioned junk). They have to have the right shape to sit comfortably on my shoulder or my arm without causing pain. It's a tall order, and this bag ticked some of the boxes. Not enough, as it turned out, since I spent all year looking for a replacement.
- H&M ankle boots - £10 - These boots were a fantastic sale bargain and a winter favourite. They have good grippy soles and no zips - funnily enough the thing I need on bags is the thing I hate on boots. My brain, ladies and gentlemen. H&M didn't think it was necessary to make these in a 7 though - the label actually lists all the sizes, going from 6.5 to 7.5 - so they have some thick fleecy insoles to keep me even warmer.
- M&S black bra - £12 - I couldn't even remember what this was at first, then I realised it was the bra that I found on sale, wore once, hated it and consigned to the eBay pile, where it still sits, making me feel bad for being too lazy to deal with it.
So the total spend for June 2014 was... £56. Considering the only thing I liked from these purchases was the boots, it wasn't a great month. I did use the bag just about every day though, so I'd call that getting my money's worth.
On with this month's purchases. I thought there wasn't anything until I glanced up and saw the new bag, but it was still a pretty light month on the clothing front. June seems to be accessories month over here!
- Charity shop bag with matching vanity case - £5 - This bag has no label. I think it might be menswear? I'm not even sure that the matching case is a vanity - for all I know it could be some fancy artist bag (she says, knowing full well that it will become travelling knitting storage.) I've used the main bag a few times - the strap is longer than my last one (good) but it doesn't feel very strong (bad). There are only two main pockets and a small side one (bad) but it's the perfect size for the junk plus camera (good). Honestly, I'm not convinced this bag is the one, but at least it didn't set me back much and was second hand.
- Tesco black tights (2x 80 denier, 3x 40 denier) - 2 packs @ £2.80 each - Not much to say about these... I'm stocking the winter drawer from the summer sale section, my usual practise :)
Total spend for this June was... £10.60. Time will tell if the bag was worth it but I'm certain the tights will see some regular use! (Just...not yet...please?)
What's everyone been buying this month? Let me know if you do a similar post!